welcome to owls' class page
Class Teacher: Mrs Pettitt
Higher Level Teaching Assistant: Mrs Carter
our learning in Spring term 1
This half term our topic is Penguins and Polar Bears
Please see our Long Term Plans for more details of the subjects taught through our topic
- Know and order the months of the year
- To sequence daily activities in chronological order
- Explore and use the language of minutes and seconds
- Tell the time to o’clock on an analogue clock
- Tell the time to half past on an analogue clock
- Tell the time to o’clock and half past on an analogue clock
- Read and write the time to o’clock and half past
- Solve problems involving time
- Describe whole turns and half turns with reference to the clock.
Exploring calculation strategies within 20.
- Using part-whole understanding of related facts to derive teens facts
- Using doubles to derive near doubles
- Representing the ‘Make ten’ strategy using a bead string
- Understanding the = symbol as an indication of equivalence
- Choosing addition strategies based on the numbers in the calculation
Numbers to 50
- Sequencing numbers to 50
- Making groups of ten
- Exploring tens and ones
- Introducing place value
- Representing a 2-digit number as tens and ones
- Comparing and ordering numbers using place value
- Comparing and ordering numbers using a number line
- Counting in twos, fives and tens
- Describing and completing number patterns
Writing - Narrative
- writing narrative pieces based on the story 'Lost and Found'.
Writing - Non-Fiction
- writing an information text about an Arctic animal.
Spelling and Grammar
- continuing our Rocket Spelling Challenges, spelling tricky words correctly in dictated sentences
- Practising checking our spellings and purple polishing our work.
- Using full stops at the end of our sentences.
- reading non-fiction texts about the animals in the Polar regions.
- enjoying our Class Reading Area
Observe the apparent movement of the Sun during the day.
Observe changes across the four seasons.
Observe and describe weather associated with the seasons and how day length varies.
- Observe closely, using simple equipment.
- Perform simple tests.
- Identify and classify.
- Use observations and ideas to suggest answers to questions.
- Gather and record data to help in answering questions.