welcome to kestrels' class page
Class Teachers: Mrs Waites and Mrs Spencer
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Nunn
OUR LEARNING IN THE SPRING TERM
Topic - All Hands on Deck
This term's topic is a sea-themed topic. We will be looking at sea creatures and environmental issues as part of this topic (please see our long term plan for details of curriculum coverage).
- To recognise and write decimal equivalents of any number of tenths
- To recognise quantities as decimal tenths
- To compare numbers with one decimal place
- To round decimals with one decimal place to the nearest whole number
- To find number bonds for numbers with one decimal place
- To mentally add and subtract numbers with one decimal place
- To recognise and write decimal equivalents of any number of hundredths
- To recognise and write decimal equivalents to one quarter, one half and three quarters
- To order numbers up to two decimal places
- To divide and multiply by 10, including decimals
- To divide and multiply by 100, including decimals
AREA AND PERIMETER
- To measure and calculate the perimeter of rectangles in centimetres and millimetres.
- To draw rectangles with differing perimeters in cm and mm
- To calculate the perimeter of rectangles in metres and centimetres.
- To measure and calculate the perimeter of composite rectilinear shapes in centimetres and millimetres.
- To measure and calculate the perimeter of composite rectilinear shapes in metres and centimetres.
- To understand that area is a measure of surface and that it is measured in square units
- To find the area of rectangles
- To calculate and compare the area of rectangles (including squares), using square centimetres
- To calculate and compare the area of rectangles (including squares) using square metres
- To investigate the relationship between area and perimeter
Our core text this term for our daily whole class reading is 'The BFG' by Roald Dahl.
We are analysing the text in different roles
- The Clarifiers- Clarify words that excite us!
- The Questioners - Ask questions to help us understand the text more. It could be questions for characters or for the author.
- The Predictors - Make predictions about the text based upon what we have read previously.
- The Summarisers - Discussing common themes within the book.
We are continuing our Diamond Quest and will be acknowledging and celebrating this on Class Dojo.
In English lessons, we will be improving our vocabulary and descriptive writing by focusing on the book 'Flotsam'. We will also be exploring poetry this half term.
We continue to ensure our spelling and grammatical accuracy is as good as possible and will be addressing this daily. Spelling challenges will continue to be learned at home, allowing children to ask for a spelling challenge assessment in school and a move up to the next level. Handwriting will also continue to be checked and corrected where appropriate, such as ensuring the 'tails' of letters f, g, j, p, q and y all descend below the line.