welcome to goldfinches' class page
Class Teacher: Mrs White
Higher Level Teaching Assistant: Mrs Donald
our learning in the spring 1 term
This half term our topic is Penguins & Polar Bears
Please see our Long Term Plans for more details of the subjects taught through our topic.
in Maths we are ...
In english we are ...
- To know the number of hours in one day
- To know that there are 60 minutes in one hour
- To be able to tell the time quarter past on an analogue clock
- To be able to tell the time quarter to on an analogue clock
- To be able to tell the time on an analogue clock with five minute intervals
- To be able to sequence daily events
- To calculate durations of time in minutes
- To calculate durations of time in minutes and hours
- Relate halves and quarters to division
- Identify the parts of a fraction
- Identify half of a shape
- Find halves, thirds and quarters of shape
- Identify fractions of shape with different numerators
- Identify unit fractions of quantity
- Identify unit fractions of quantity and shape
- Identify non unit fractions of quantity and shape
- Identify equivalent fractions
Adding & subtracting two digit numbers (regrouping)
- Use the Make ten strategy to add ones
- Regroup when adding
- Use the Make ten strategy to subtract ones
- Regroup when subtracting
- Solve addition and subtraction word problems
- Use the Round and adjust strategy to add
- Use the Round and adjust strategy to subtract
- Add near doubles
- Writing stories set in the location of our topic
- Sequencing events and clauses to create a narrative
Join sentences with conjunctions and connectives
Varying the way sentences begin
Using nouns and pronouns for variety
Using adverbs for extra detail
Using subordination (when, if, that or because)
Using coordination (or, and, but).
- Creating information texts on animals
- Using topical vocabulary (linked to topic and science work)
- Using headings and subheadings to separate information
- Using the correct tenses
- Writing for a range of purposes
Spelling and Grammar
- progressing through our Rocket Spelling Challenges, spelling words correctly in dictated sentences
- Learning spelling rules for adding suffixes to root words
- continuing to learn different spelling strategies to help us learn new words
- Learning about different types of sentences
- reading non-fiction texts related to our topic
- reading stories by Oliver Jeffers
- enjoying our School Library and Class Reading Area
- reading a range of fiction books
Our Class Reader
We will be reading The Owl Who Was Afraid Of The Dark by Jill Tomlinson.
Please see below for videos to help your child's learning in these areas.
Thinking Blocks - an app designed to help embed understanding of bar models.
BBC Dance Mat Typing - practise your typing skills with this great activity
KS1 BBC Bitesize Literacy - lots of fun activities to practise spelling, punctuation, grammar and much, much more
KS1 BBC Bitesize Maths - practise all areas of your maths with these exciting activities
KS1 BBC Bitesize Science - learn more about Science with this range of activities
BBC Bitesize KS1 Education - great videos looking at all areas of the curriculum, including some really useful explanations of grammatical terminology.