welcome to goldfinches' class page
Class Teacher: Mrs Warren
Higher Level Teaching Assistant: Mrs Ireland
our learning in the summer 2 term
This half term our topic is A Splash of Colour.
Please see our Long Term Plans for more details of the subjects taught through our topic.
in Maths we are ...
english we are ...
Adding and subtracting two and three-digit numbers
- adding a 3-digit number and ones using known number facts
- adding 3-digit number and tens using known number facts
- subtracting a 3-digit number and tens using known number facts
- adding two 2-digit numbers using the columnar method with regrouping
- subtracting two 2-digit numbers using the columnar method with regrouping
- adding two numbers using the columnar method with regrouping
- subtracting a number from a 3-digit number using the columnar method with regrouping
Measuring Capacity and Volume
- reading the temperature in degree Celsius on a thermometer
- taking and reading the temperature in degree Celsius
- understanding the concept of litres
- estimating and measuring in litres
- solving word problems that involve litres
- understanding the concept of millilitres
- comparing millilitres and litres using fractions
- comparing and ordering millilitres and litres
- applying number bonds and derive related facts to 1000
- solving word problems about capacity and volume
- weighing and comparing objects in kilograms
- interpreting scales labelled in grams and comparing the mass of objects in grams
- applying addition and subtraction in the context of mass
- solving multiplication and division problems about mass
- consolidating knowledge of mass through investigations
Writing - Narrative
- writing narrative pieces based on our class reader The Iron Man
Writing - Non Fiction
- writing non-fiction texts relating to our topic and Science work.
Writing - Poetry
- writing some poetry based on our class reader The Iron Man
Spelling and Grammar
- progressing through our Rocket Spelling Challenges, spelling words correctly in dictated sentences
- continuing to learn different spelling strategies to help us learn new words
- consolidating our learning about the use of apostrophes
- securing our understanding of the different sentence types and using different types of punctuation independently in our writing
- finding out about irregular past tense verbs
- reading non-fiction texts related to our topic on artists and art
- reading non-fiction texts about plants and living things in Science
- enjoying our School Library and Class Reading Area
Our Class Reader
We will be reading The Iron Man by Ted Hughes.
Please see below for videos to help your child's learning in these areas.
BBC Dance Mat Typing - practise your typing skills with this great activity
KS1 BBC Bitesize Literacy - lots of fun activities to practise spelling, punctuation, grammar and much, much more
KS1 BBC Bitesize Maths - practise all areas of your maths with these exciting activities
KS1 BBC Bitesize Science - learn more about Science with this range of activities
BBC Bitesize KS1 Education - great videos looking at all areas of the curriculum, including some really useful explanations of grammatical terminology.